I will give you (hopefully) a short synopsis of my time in the national capitol, so here it goes!
On Sunday morning, we left for D.C. at around 10:30am and arrived at around 6pm. It took a little bit longer than expected because of traffic and an unknown area to us. We decided to head to the National Mall area (where all of the monuments are) and walk around. We found a parking spot in the Reagan Building and it was really highly secured. We first walked to the Washington Monument, then the WWII Memorial, which is separated from the Lincoln Memorial by the Reflecting Pool. The Reflecting Pool sadly, was simply a pool of dirt and mud. They began renovations on it last October in order to install a new recirculation system, which will improve the water quality of the pool and add a paved walkway around the perimeter of it. Sad I didn't get to see it, but still so awesome to be in the heart of D.C. history! Next, went to the Lincoln Memorial, Roosevelt Memorial, and Jeffereson Memorial. Jefferson was hands down my favorite because of the openness of the structure and the unbelievable architecture. I would sit on the steps anyday and read in the sunlight, looking out on the Tidal Basin of the Potomac River.
It was sundown by the time we were at the Jefferson and because of construction near the memorial, we couldn't take the short way back to our parking garage. Okay, at this point I was terrified because that means we had about a 2-3 mile walk back around the outside in the dark. Creep-city. We were just two girls in a big city at night and I was about to jump a nearby coach bus with a bunch of students and cry my eyes out to the bus driver so that he would give me a ride back to safety. Pathetic, I know, but I hate being outside at night and don't trust people around me. Especially, after almost being taken in Florida before by a car of men...yeah, not cool. Anyway, we got back safe and sound, thanks to a nice elderly couple we met up with on our way back who gave us directions to a more lit path. Thank goodness for them :)
We stayed at Cam's brother's friends house (Anthony) in Virginia (which is only like 10 minutes from D.C.) and we went out to a diner at like 11:00pm for some french toast! Hole-in-the-wall places are seriously some of the best food you will eat sometimes. Shortly after, I cozied up on the floor and went to sleep.
Monday was a museum day! We first stopped for lunch at Potbelly Sandwich Shop. I had been to one before and it is so great. Had an Italian sandwich and a giant pickle. Please go try this place out sometime, it's decently priced and so yummy! We walked by the White House! Saw a man mowing the lawn and took a bunch of pictures. We then walked to the National Museum of Natural History. We spent a long time in there and I love learning about the ocean, animals, and life in general. I wish I had time to read all of the information they provide, but it would take forever! After a short rest on the grass with a cool soda, we headed to the Air and Space Museum. My dad would have LOVED it....I will have to take him there someday. As I walked through security (they search your bag and you have to walk through a metal detector every time you enter a place), the security guard asked if I was Irish. Uhm, first of all, weird. Second of all, I am Italian. Must be the red hair and green eyes? Anyway, I was pooped after like an hour in this museum and we decided we should head to the Kennedy Center.
Anthony works in the Kennedy Center and told us about how they have a free show every night at 6pm! Anything from dance, to theater, to music! On the way, it began to POUR and luckily I had ponchos in my bag. We pulled them on and kept walking after asking directions from a security guard. We ended up like on the hill of a highway and decided this could not be right. I spotted a bridge off to our right and we clambered down the hill, soaking wet, and continued to the Kennedy. Now, I don't like showing up to a theater looking gross as well as the next person, but there wasn't much we could do. The performance of the night was called 'The Atomic Duo' and they were two guys (one mandolin and one guitar) who play bluegrass/folk type music and add humor to their music. Here is the link if you would like to watch! http://www.kennedy-center.org/explorer/videos/?id=M4652&type=A Below is a picture of us with the two guys.
No comments:
Post a Comment